What we doThe South African Dental Association (SADA) represents the majority of active dentists in the private and public sectors in South Africa. The Association is regarded as the voice of dentistry in Southern Africa and is the most relied on body regarding all aspects of dental practice in the region, both in the public and private sectors in South Africa. It is a non-profit professional association with voluntary membership organisation represented by a total of 11 branches, one in every province of the Republic of South Africa, with Gauteng and Eastern Cape provinces having two branches each. The Association represents the interests of both the oral health profession and its members in South Africa.
Our membership covers General Practioner dentists, Specialist practitioner dentists (Orthodontics, Prosthodontics, Maxillo Facial & Oral Surgery and Periodontics). Since 2020, our membership is open to all allied oral health practitioners (Oral Hygienists, Dental Therapists, Dental Technicians, and Dental assistants). Membership is open and FREE for all oral health students.
The Association actively encourages continuing professional advancement of dentists and allied oral health practitioners, and to this end, it regularly holds Branch events for learning and mentoring purposes, an annual international SADA Dental & Oral Health Congress and Exhibition. We are the only oral health professional body in Africa which publishes an internationally accredited professional journal (The South African Dental Journal) with circulation locally, the rest of Africa and internationally.
The Association’s main objectives
- To support members by enhancing their ability to provide safe, high quality professional oral health care
- To encourage the improvement of the oral and general health of the public
- To promotion the ethical standards, art and science of dentistry by supporting oral professionals through services like Find-a-Dentist, DCalc, Third-Party Funder concierge, contract review and much more.
- To be the authoritative provider of guides (including samples, template etc) and protocols, Continuing Professional Development material, policies that accurately reflect regulatory guidelines and a National Code of Ethics.
- To represent and advocate for our members' interest in every key platform to influence policy on all matters relevant to oral health.